Position will be responsible for quality policies, procedures and methods so that customer expectations are met or exceeded based on the company’s safety, quality, housekeeping and production standards including the development, use of, measurement of the effectiveness, and maintenance of the plant quality system.
Reports to: Plant Manager
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains the Quality Management System
- Ensures that the processes of the quality management system are established, implemented, maintained and provide statistical based output.
- Responsible for analyzing plant quality data and using proven tools and statistical methods to develop and lead continuous improvement projects within the plant.
- Reports to plant management and corporate leadership on the performance of the quality management system, including any improvement needs from data collected through audits and observations.
- Controls assurance of Plant Product Quality by leading, teaching and assuring the compliance of the Quality Team in Control of Non-Conforming Product including but not limited to identification, quarantining, and disposition of questionable products.
- Develops customer based standards, fit-for-use requirements, and product specific specifications in a manner that is clear and understood to all production personnel.
- Responsible for maintaining GFSI/SQF, ISO certifications, system maintenance and continuous improvement opportunities and acts as the assigned plant contact with the certifying authority. Will participate in system maintenance activities (internal auditing) and corrective action implementations to assure system effectiveness.
- Provides effective training for plant quality personnel.
- Provides Quality Department with leadership and has ability to positively influence production.
- Provides leadership, training and education programs for plant personnel regarding quality systems and programs. This will include the development of quality requirements and qualification of plant Inspector/Packer trainers.
- Assesses the department labor and training needs.
- Performs scheduled personnel reviews.
- Provides leadership to plant quality personnel by participating/leading regular department communication meetings and listening sessions.
- Develops, trains, and maintains GMP standards and practices.
- Leads/participates in customer complaint root cause identification and corrective action implementation problem solving activities.
- Participates in product launch reviews with the outcome of understanding the customer’s product needs.
- Prepares capital requests for equipment as needed to support quality/customer requirements.
- Provides the plant with statistical expertise in the use of quality tools and systems to support requirements, for example: process capability studies, gauge R&R evaluation, Pareto analysis, and other statistical evaluation methods.
- Provides monthly data relating to the cost of quality and implements cost reduction projects.
- Responsible for the UN/DOT certification process including monitoring, testing, and documentation of the various SKUs involved. Will have personnel to assist in the process.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or combination of education and experience - ASQ Certification CQE, CQM, or CMQ/OE preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication, analytical, problem solving, decision making and computer skills required.
- UN/DOT regulatory experience preferred.