Plastics Packaging Engineer
This position will have responsibility for all the following. The primary responsibility is working directly with Sales & Operations of new packaging / product development. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to plant, industrial, product, project, process, and environmental engineering.
Reports to: Director of Engineering
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Review manufacturing operations, maintain current packaging project schedule reflecting machine design requirements.
- Design and coordinate building and improving of production equipment and process elements for which purchased equipment is not available.
- Investigate production operations for process improvements and make changes where costs indicate.
- Recommend engineering standards, methods, and changes to optimize machine and labor productivity and facilities utilization.
- Ensure the plant facilities and processes meet EPA and other statutory compliance.
- Contribute & oversee industrial engineering activities: time and motion study, production standards, material flow, and cost improvements.
- Contribute to establishing engineering policies and objectives that are supportive of company ones.
- Train, and manage assigned staff. Develop organizational structure and recommend employee position.
- Oversee & contribute to company’s product engineering and launch activities.
- Design and procure all packaging (both returnable and disposable) as needed.
- Participate in strategic planning for company growth and direction.
- Participate in the setting of specifications and materials selection for new products. Be responsible for maintenance of current product.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Engineering.
- Seven to ten years of relevant work experience required.
- Strong written and oral communication, analytical, decision making, problem solving, and computer skills required.
- Ability to delegate, prioritize and organize own work and the work of others.
- Must be able to directing a team effort to reach company goals and objectives
- Must maintain confidentiality and show excellent professional ethics.
- A background in blow molding plastics is a plus.
Work / Physical Requirements
Individuals may be exposed to an office environment. May also be exposed to loud noises and atmospheric conditions and have the ability to:
- Often – sit; hear/listen/talk; stand; perform repetitive hand motions; and lift up to 20 lbs.
- Seldom – walk; reach overhead; pull/push; bend; stoop; climb stairs/ladders; kneel/squat/crouch; balance; shovel; and lift up to 30 lbs.